Discovering hidden gems: Free online gaming in India
Updated on August 21, 2023
The free online gaming in India is expected to grow fourfold by the year 2027. The industry that was worth USD 2.6 billion in the financial year 2022, is estimated to be valued at USD 8.6 billion by 2027, according to an IBEF report.
Whether it is free online games or any other kind of gaming, the industry has always been viewed as male-dominated, and gaming is a highly-pursued hobby among men. But this was only true up until recent times when more female gamers emerged in the gaming industry. Multiple studies suggest that the number of women gamers will soon match the number of male gamers. However, some fun games are not as famous as they should be among both men and women. In this article, let us read about the lesser-known free online gaming in India.
Why free online gaming in India is popular
The exponentially increasing use of free online gaming in India owes to many factors:
- Increased usage of the internet: The past decade has seen fast growth in internet usage and the number of online users. This is one of the factors influencing the invention of more free online gaming in India.
- Conveniently accessible: Online games are easily accessible on mobile devices like smartphones, tablets, etc., desktops, and PCs. Browser games have gained more popularity than ever because they only need an internet connection to play.
- Cost-effective way of playing games: This one is a no-brainer, as free online gaming in India do not require users to pay. Most online games on mobile devices and desktops are free, giving gaming enthusiasts myriad options for free entertainment.
- Recreation for free: Further to the previous statement, not only are most online games free, but they even provide recreation, entertainment, and relaxation for free. They have been proven to be an excellent pastime for many.
- Young population: The average population of India is 28 years old, which is much less than most countries in the world. The Indian youngsters are internet and smartphone enthusiasts, which has become one of the key reasons for the gaming industry and free online gaming in India is becoming popular.
- Increased number of mobile apps: There are over one million gaming apps on the App Store and Google Play Store combined. The more the number of games, the higher the number of players.
- COVID-19: Since the outbreak of COVID-19 in early 2020, internet and smartphone users have increased. More people started using their smartphones for extended periods and getting indulged in mobile games while they were confined to their homes.
Let us now look at some of the lesser-known free online gaming in India that are highly entertaining:
Hidden gems of free online gaming in India
Card CallBreak game is a trick-taking card game played among four players with a standard 52-card deck. There are multiple rounds in a game. The player has to place a bet before starting each round, guessing how many hands they can win; they must keep their score highest to win the game. CallBreak is even available online on the App Store and Play Store apps, as well as on various websites like EpicPlay. However, it may not be played across the world as much as it is popular in South Asia.
Carrom is a popular indoor board game that has been around for many decades. It is more widely played in South Asian countries like India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Nepal, and Maldives than in the rest of the world.
The online board games like carrom includes nine dark (black) and light (white) pieces each, a red queen, and a striker. It is a multiplayer game where four players sit on each end of the board and strike the pieces with a striker to collect them. At last, they strike the piece that is referred to as the ‘queen’ to win the game. The player who finishes the game first is the winner. Carrom is also available online on websites and mobile apps.
Rummy is believed to have originated in China or Mexico in the 19th century and is a favorite to most Indians. The game is a family of matching-card games with a common gameplay that relies on matching cards of the same rank, sequence, and suit. The fundamental objective of any form of rummy is to create melds, which can be either sets (three or four of a kind of the same rank) or runs (three or more consecutive cards of the same suit). The ultimate goal of the game is to either be the first to go out or collect more points than the other players.
All the Indian kids grew up playing Ludo, and that is the hallmark of the game. It is a traditional board game that has transformed into a widely-played online game, especially since the COVID-19 outbreak. Ludo game online is a two or four-player game where Each player has four pawns running clockwise from start to end zone, heading off to the home column where they are safe against other players. The player that takes their four pawns home first wins.
No amount of games is enough for the online population of India. When it comes to browser games, they are even more popular because they do not require downloading and installing. Not only the ones we’ve listed, there are many more less-popular free online gaming that are waiting to be discovered. Internet users, it’s time to check them out and start playing for exciting gaming experiences.