Play Board Games Online for Free
Board games typically use pieces and are played on a marked surface. They are the oldest form of games ever played, dating back to 4,600 BC. Ancient civilizations invented many forms of board games — from abstract to area control. The most common skills in board games are luck, strategy, and diplomacy.
Games like Chess will need the players to use their skills and strategies to win, but children’s games such as Snakes and Ladders do not require skills, and the winner is determined by luck alone. Board games have come back in style and are loved by adults and children but cost a bomb. Hence, playing Board games online for free is a cost-efficient way of having fun while learning skills such as strategies and diplomacy.
Collections Of Board Games On Epicplay
Ludo Matka 🎲
Ludo Matka is a classic board game that was initially known by the name Chaupar in India and played by the Mughal emperors. In this Ludo game online, a cube die determines a house’s moves. Four houses with four pieces each will be represented by four colors. The player who secures all four pieces to the finished house wins. However, they will be chased and attacked by their opponents constantly.
Epic Chess ♟️
Epic Chess is another Indian-origin board game that involves abstract strategy. Played by 2 players, each having a king, queen, two bishops, two rooks, two knights, and 8 pawns, commonly known as soldiers, go on a rampage of killing each other’s pieces. The objective of the online chess game against computer is to use the pieces to checkmate the opponent’s king.
Snake and Ladder 🐍🪜
Snake and Ladder game online is a simple board game determined by the number on the die and luck. This game also originated in ancient India. The game can be played by two or more players. The die determines how many grids each player moves. The ladders and snakes along the way will determine how fast you climb up or go down. The one to reach the 100th grid first wins the game.
8 Ball Pool 🎱
8 Ball Pool game online is a cue game played on a billiards board with its roots in 15th-century Europe. It is played with 16 balls — one cue ball and 15 numbered balls. It is a 2-player game. The player must pocket balls of their group (solid colors or stripes) and then pocket 8 other balls (8-15 striped colors) of their opponent. The one to pocket their colored balls and then the opponent’s 8 balls win the game.
Different Types of Board Games
- Push-your-luck: Push-your-luck games are all about taking risks. Players take turns rolling dice and making decisions based on the outcome. These games often involve a balance between risk-taking and caution, as players try to maximize their gains while minimizing their losses. Ludo is a type of push-your-luck game that involves some strategy.
- Roll-and-move: Roll-and-move games are some of the oldest and most straightforward types of board games. Players take turns rolling dice and moving their pieces around a game board. These games often involve luck-based mechanics and are great for casual gamers. Snakes and Ladders is a type of roll-and-move game that can be played by anyone.
- Wargame: Wargames are a type of board game that simulates military conflict. Players take on the role of generals, commanding armies and making strategic decisions. These games often involve complex rules and mechanics, but they offer a rewarding gaming experience for those who are interested in military history and strategy. Chess is a classic and one of the most popular wargames with international tournaments.
- Area control: Area control games are all about controlling territory on a board. Players take turns placing their pieces on the board to gain control of different areas. These games often involve strategic planning, resource management, and tactical navigation into the opponent’s territory.
- Legacy: Legacy games are a relatively new type of board game that is gaining popularity. These games involve a series of interconnected games that are played over an extended period. The outcome of each game affects the next game, and players must make decisions that will have long-term consequences.
- Deck Construction: Deck construction games involve building a deck of cards that are used to play the game. Players start with a basic set of cards and add to it as the game progresses. A key skill required to play these games is strategy, as the player's ability to choose and assemble cards available in the game market depends on their strategic approach.
- Eurogame: Eurogames games are a popular type of board game with abstract physical components that originated in Europe. These games are known for their emphasis on strategy, economics, acquisition, conflict, drama, and low levels of luck. They often involve complex rules and mechanics, but they offer a rewarding gaming experience.
Best Free Board Games To Play Without Downloading
Chess is one of the best and most free board games to play without downloading. The game involves 2 players playing to checkmate the opponent’s king. If you are interested in territorial games that involve strategic planning and critical thinking, this could be your go-to. Chess is also a recognized game in the Olympics and several international tournaments are conducted to witness the next grandmaster throughout the year. Hence, it also makes for an excellent career if you are good at it.
Ludo is one of the best classic board games to play for fun with friends and families. While 70% of the game involves luck, 30% of the game involves strategic planning and decision-making. Since it is easily accessible and playable by all age groups, it has bagged one of the top positions in the free gaming industry.
Snakes and Ladders
Snakes and Ladders can be played by children as young as 4 years old. It also remains one of the most popular board games played by casual gaming adults. Since the gameplay does not require strategic planning and other cerebral skills, it is easy to play while on a break and has been ranked a top free game.
8 Ball is a cue game that is mostly played on a billiards pool table. The physical game is casual as well as a competitive sport played by skilled and seasoned players. While access to physical pool tables is low in certain regions of the world, the online version of 8 Ball Pool makes for an excellent substitute. It is easily accessible and is available for free on many browsers.
Popular Multiplayer Board Games Online
Board games are most commonly played by multiple players and involve strategy, planning, critical thinking, hand-eye coordination, and collaboration with other players. Board games are also excellent games to play for teams with more than 2 players since it boosts teamwork, socializing skills, and building relations, in a fun and engaging way. Moreover, since they are popular online and free of cost, many people choose board games as their go-to category when in a group.
Why Players Love Playing Board Games
Gamers love playing board games for several reasons. One of the most important ones is its availability and accessibility. Board games are also a regular component of several get-togethers and group activities for their team-building, socializing, and relationship-building capabilities. While it helps improve these skills, the games remain fun and engaging. Playing them online is another way to deal with stress, burnout, anxiety, and other conditions for children and adults.
Fun games are designed to be accessible and enjoyable for everyone, regardless of their device specifications. They do not require high-end graphics or sound, so they can be played on most browsers.
To have a smooth gaming experience on EpicPlay, you only need to meet the basic device requirements.
- Desktop: Windows 7 (64-bit) or a newer version
- Mobile: Android 4.4 or later on Android devices, iOS 8 or higher installed on iOS devices